Tour de France: Michael Matthews takes brilliant Stage 14 victory while Jonas Vingegaard retains lead
Australian Michael Matthews put on a brilliant ride to win a tough and hilly Stage 14 of the Tour de France from Saint-Etienne to Mende.
Matthews launched a solo attack from the breakaway with about 50km of the 192.5km stage remaining before he was joined by Felix Grossschartner, Luis Leon Sanchez and Andreas Kron.
He shook them off but was then caught and passed by Alberto Bettiol on the final climb, only to retake the lead and take the win, with Bettiol second and Thibaut Pinot third.
In the yellow jersey group, defending champion Tadej Pogacar launched an attack on the final climb but Jonas Vingegaard stayed with him to retain the overall lead as the pair crossed the finish line on the same time.
Stage 14 results
1. Michael Matthews (Aus/Team BikeExchange-Jayco) 4 hours 30 minutes 53 seconds
2. Alberto Bettiol (Ita/EF Education-Easypost) +15 sec
3. Thibaut Pinot (Von/Group – FDJ) +34 sec
4. Marc Soler (Spa/UAE Team Emirates) +50s
5. Patrick Konrad (Aut/BORA-hansgrohe) +58s
6. Jakob Fuglsang (Den / Israel – Premier Tech) Same time
7. Felix Grossschartner (Aut/BORA-hansgrohe) +1:06
8. Lennard Kamna (D/BORA-hansgrohe) +1:12
9. Simon Geschke (Ger/Cofidis) Same time
10. Louis Meintjes (SA/Intermarche Wanty)