A crackdown is launched to stop cyclists from heading to Sydney’s King’s Cross, with 20 facing a five-year ban
Three members of the Bikie Gang have been banned from pubs, clubs and restaurants Sydney‘s Kings Cross for five years in a night police operation.
NSW Police say they arrested 10 people and filed 12 charges Sunday night as part of Operation Eris, which was set up to prevent and disrupt crime and anti-social behavior in Kings Cross, particularly in pubs and restaurants.
Three men, aged 24, 27 and 39, are known members of illegal motorcycle gangs and organized crime networks, police said.
King’s Cross nightclub industry and police have joined forces to fight off anti-social behavior as the popular nightclub (pictured) surges in patrons
If the bans are ignored, gang members could be charged with trespassing (pictured, police check on a night owl over the weekend).
Police arrested 10 people and charged 12 people as part of a purge of the Kings Cross borough on Sunday (pictured).
Nightclubs join forces with police to make Kings Cross borough safer to attract more people – offering a good night out in the area while staying safe. Pictured: Patrons enjoy a night out in the suburbs last year
They have been banned from entering licensed premises in the Kings Cross area for five years.
One of the men is a senior member of the notorious Alameddine clan who was stopped in his $350,000 Lamborghini Daily Telegraph uncovered.
He had camouflaged the high-end yellow vehicle he is known to drive with a black nylon skin to fly under the radar.
A senior official said these gangsters went so far in response to recent gangland shootings in public places.
More than 20 the restrictions have been issued so far as part of an idea from NSW Police and nightclubs.
The proactive, highly visible operation (pictured) targeted known members of criminal networks, police said
The three Bikie Gang members have been banned from pubs, clubs and restaurants in the Kings Cross area (pictured) for a period of five years
More than 20 people have had the restrictions imposed so far as part of an idea from NSW Police and nightclubs
Australian Hotels Association NSW Police Director John Green told the Daily Telegraph the industry is in cahoots with the police to stamp out bad behaviour.
“In a multi-venue ban system, local licensees, in this case the Kings Cross Liquor Accord, agree that nuisance patrons will be banned from all venues in an area,” Green said.
Kings Cross Police Commander Chris Nicholson said the proactive, highly visible operation targeted known members of criminal networks.
Operation Eris was an initiative to ensure King Cross is safe so people can enjoy a night without fear of anti-social behavior and violence, he said.
“Operation Eris provides security and reassurance for the local community, security for customers and licensed premises, and makes it difficult for members of illegal motorcycle gangs and organized crime networks to be seen and doing business in Kings Cross,” Supt Nicholson said Monday.
“We will identify members … and use available police powers to prevent them from entering licensed premises and the wider precinct,” he said.
Police Secretary Paul Toole said it was important for residents and guests to feel safe in Kings Cross’ entertainment district.
“The message is simple: if you are part of or associated with a criminally organized network, you are not welcome here,” Mr Toole said.
“You are not welcome here,” said police as part of the campaign to evict troublemakers (pictured, police were questioning crowds in Kings Cross over the weekend).
Members of lawless gangs and organized crime networks continue to be targeted in Kings Cross
Operation Eris was an initiative to ensure King Cross venues (pictured during last year’s lockdown) are safe so people can enjoy an evening without fear of anti-social behavior and violence
If the prohibitions are ignored, gang members can be charged with trespassing.
The Kings Cross area has attracted a triple increase in visitors with 12,000 visitors on a Saturday night compared to two months ago.
Police Commander Nicholson told the Daily Telegraph: “It’s great to see the night economy starting to boom and we want to continue that by making it safe.”
“Residents should be able to wake up Sunday morning and not be confronted with crime scene tapes on the street,” said Police Commander Nicholson.
“Even with all the extra people lately, there hasn’t been an increase in incidents.”
Police said it was important for residents and guests to feel safe in the Kings Cross entertainment district